It was a hot weekday afternoon and SG Boy came over to my place for a “study date”. Mr SG Boy dozed off after less than an hour of work and I got bored so… a miracle happened in the kitchen!
Flourless Chocolate Cake (Adapted from Baking Bites)
112g dark or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup sugar (I used slightly more than a 1/4 cup)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder (pref. dutch process)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt together chocolate and butter, stirring with a fork until very smooth.
- Pour warm chocolate mixture into a medium mixing bowl with sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until each has been fully incorporated to add the next.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Sift cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk until well-combined.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 25 minutes.
Allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a serving platter. Dust with cocoa powder or icing sugar. The cake can be served warmed, chilled or at room temperature, and it’s perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Despite reducing the sugar by a significant amount, it was still a tad too sweet. I think it’s because I used semisweet chocolate. Nevertheless, the cake was rather well-received. The best part of it? The whole baking process was so simple and fuss-free that I managed to finish everything before SG Boy woke up from his deep slumber (maybe the smell woke him up, haha!)
This is a great recipe for entertaining guests without having to spend too much time on preparation.