I’ve been wanting to make pancakes for breakfast since ages ago but never really got down to doing it. Until today. I attended an early morning Bikram Yoga class and came back feeling rejuvenated and motivated. I wanted today to be a really productive day. And the only way to go about doing that was by starting my (and SG Boy’s) day right with the perfect breakfast! ^^
Super Healthy Matcha Pancakes (modified from this)
1/3 cup reduced fat buttermilk (or normal milk)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter (plus more for skillet)
2 tablespoons sugar (I forgot to add this in HAHA)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (I used slightly less than half cup, and topped up the remaining with plain flour)
1 tablespoon matcha powder (or more, if you want a stronger matcha taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt (I omitted this)
some honey/maple syrup to top your pancakes!
Makes 6 small pancakes to feed 2 people
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.
- Add flour, matcha powder, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk mixture until the batter comes together. Lumps should still be visible.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat and add vegetable oil.
- Add pancake batter onto the pan. Adjust amount according to your desired thickness.
- Flip the pancakes when bubbles appear on the surface (should take about 1-2 minutes)
- Serve with your desired toppings!
The pancakes were soft and delicious, especially when topped with strawberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas and honey! I wish I added more matcha powder though. Also, I only realised that I forgot to add sugar after we cooked the pancakes (which made these pancakes even healthier haha). Nevertheless, the honey made up for the lack of sugar. The pancakes look so good that you probably wouldn’t have guessed that they’re healthy right? :P